Wednesday, August 4

Fly Away

My baby is flying away. Literally. On Friday she is getting on a plane and flying to California to see her father and his family. She is excited to go and I'm will be sorry to see her leave. She is my baby and I have gotten so very used to having all of her idiosyncrasies around I will be lost without her.

By Friday she will have left the swamp that is under a heat advisory as we speak and will be settling into life in Northern California. She will be somewhere outside San Francisco where I am told it is cold. In the fifties. In South Texas that's winter. In South Texas, fifties equals freezing. My baby will have to wear warm clothes, but winter was a million years ago and my baby has out grown most of her long pants and long sleeve shirts.

"Buy her some new jeans and long sleeve shirts before she comes," advised her father helpfully. Except my baby doesn't wear jeans if she get help it. Why doesn't she wear jeans? For the same reason she doesn't eat peanut butter or hot dogs or hamburgers or pasta with sauce, she's weird. I'm not sure what traumatic jeans event occurred in her young childhood, but it scared her for life and my baby does not change her mind about thing easily. She is stubborn beyond all sense.

However, now that middle school has arrived I was planing on easing her into jeans anyway. You cannot live in America and never wear jeans. Its illegal. (I think.) Tonight I am taking this opportunity to buy two pairs of jeans that my daughter will be forced to wear while in San Fran. So that's a good thing.

On the shirts well, my daughter owns jackets and if things get drastic her father can buy her warmer clothes. I'm saving money for back to school clothes. Clothes she can wear back home in the swamp. Since our winter will make its way to us sometime around January, long sleeves just aren't on my list.

4 comments:

The Bug said...

How long will she be gone? I hope you have some fun stuff lined up for you to do while she's gone. Let us know how the jeans thing works out :)

Katy said...

She will be gone for two and a half weeks. I wish I had fun stuff planed, but since I just found out that she is leaving I'm in cancel mode right now. Canceling the school shoping we had planed this weekend, canceling the trip we had planed for next...

I'm open to any ideas if anyone has suggestions of things to do.

Jo said...

Maybe Dad will take her shopping, and that will ease up on your pocketbook a little bit. I hear they have very cool jeans in San Francisco too.

It's amazing it's so cold there. We are due north, and it's blazing hot here. We have around 800 forest fires burning in British Columbia, and it's as hot and dry as a match stick.

Now is a good time for you to visit some art galleries, treat yourself to dinner, go to a movie...

I just love your masthead, by the way. Edward Hopper is one of my favorite artists, as I think I've told you...

Katy said...

Ohh... art galleries... thanks for that one Jo! Such a good idea and I hadn't even thought of it. There are some very good free galleries around town that I haven't been to in ages..

Hopper is one of my favorites too his subject matter and color... intimate yet mysterious...