Thursday, January 22

I joined a book group...

...and to tell you the truth I'm not entirely sure why. I like to read. The book sounds interesting. For some reason I always feel like I should be hanging out with more people my age.

But I am sceptical. For one, this book group is pulling from the same mix of people who attended the bible study I frequented before I lost my Wednesdays to karate. I like these people. They are all really nice. They are easy to talk to. They are welcoming to everyone that walks in the door. We differ. Our life styles don't match. Our world views are sometimes at odds.

On the one hand this kind of annoys me. Its a lot more fun to sit with people who are all in the same place. Then you can all nod approvingly at each other and soak up every word that is said. Even if you are with people you have nothing in common with outside of your faith, its always wonderful to know that your faith is shared. You aren't a lone nut job. Someone else gets it.

On the other hand, I realize that it takes all kinds. I don't believe that there is one set way to experience God. Its not wrong its just different. Still, battle grounds of dogma aren't as fun as kumbaya circles. The book we are reading rushes into battle.

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. If you google it, like I did, you will find that there are a lot of people who are really vocal about their dislike of Bell and his book. I know that there will be people in this group who are just as vocal. I'm excited about reading what seems to be a book on contemplative theology written for people of my generation. I'm excited because I know that the person who chose this book did so because she read it and loved it. It gave her a "whole new way to think." I'm waiting to see how this evolves.

1 comment:

Iota said...

Ah, not wrong just different!

I know what you mean. It's very good to be among like-minded people, but it is also good to be stretched and made to challenge one's own thinking. There is room for both in life, I think.