Monday, February 23

Wall-E Takes an Oscar Home

I'm not going to lie. Wall-E and Kong Fu Panda are the only Academy Award Nominees that I have seen. Not that I don't want to see the others... I just haven't.

So that said, I have to say that I am disappointed. Out of 6 Nominations why did Wall-E only take home one Oscar? I love that it won Best Animated Feature, but I think it could have, and should have been nominated for Best Picture. It was that good. It honestly isn't often that I see a movie with my daughter and I end up liking it MORE than she did. Wall-E was what people mean when they talk about the magic of movies. Here is story about a robot. The last robot on Earth. There isn't a lot of talking going on. Most of the story is told through music, robot noises and action and yet, there is something so deep and profound about it that there is no real way to describe it. You just have to see it. I have heard some critics compare Andrew's direction of this film to Charlie Chaplin. Really that is the best metaphor out there.

Like I said, I haven't seen anything else out there so I hate to bash the winners. I just wish the Academy get back in the business of awarding outstanding movie making and stop being a broken record by giving into the cliche of heart-wrenching dramas.

1 comment:

Iota said...

I loved that movie. It was a lot of fun, but had a serious message too. And what talent to make a couple of robots so human-like!