Monday, February 23

Spiritual Window Shoppers

These spiritual window-shoppers,
who idly ask, How much is that? Oh, I'm just looking.
They handle a hundred items and put them down,
shadows with no capital.

What is spent is love and two eyes wet with weeping.
But these walk into a shop,
and their whole lives pass suddenly in that moment,
in that shop.

Where did you go? Nowhere.
What did you have to eat? Nothing much.

Even if you don't know what you want,
buy something, to be part of the exchanging flow.

Start a huge, foolish project,
like Noah.

It makes absolutely no difference
what people think of you.

By Rumi


I was given this poem this morning. During my time of prayer. I read the psalm. I read the passage. I read something from Keating. And then I picked up a book of poems given to me by a friend. I opened it to this. And the words jumped out of the page. How often do I let myself fail? I often do I do something then later think, well, that was stupid!? I learned this morning that at times I need to just be foolish. Put my foot in my mouth. Go one step too far. Maybe the whole thing ends in failure, maybe I realize latter that it wasn't the best choice in the world, but it was a choice. I did something, and sometimes that is all you really need.

No comments: