Monday, June 29

The Heatwave

A lot of craziness happened last week. I don't even know where to begin so instead, I'm going to update you all on my very own "BURN YOUR BUNS OFF" challenge. I started it in May. Turned my A/C up to 83, and closed all of my blinds. I was strolling into summer with out a high electricity bill (my bill for May/June was $38) and with out a care in the world.

Until now. Now, its hot. No, let me rephrase that... it's HOT. Two weeks of no rain (except when the sky spit on me one day last week) and highs reaching over 100 degrees. Yeah, its summer and it's not pretty. To add to the heat, the pool in our apartment, which had been a nice way to cool down, is out of commission. I think the filter (or something) broke because its green now instead of blue. Gross.

So what are two very hot girls to do? I've pulled out the shorts, even though my legs are white and gross. And I moved our couch. See, after hurricane Ike we had to move all our furniture around and it was then that I discovered that our $20 book selves had been moved one too many times. One broke in half. And the other is about to break. Because of this our couch has been angled in such a way that it cuts our room in half and cuts off the air flow from our ceiling fan. After spending most of yesterday watching Jeeves and Wooster episodes on DVD, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to move the couch. I can't say that I would win the approval of anyone on those home design shows, but I can now sit on my couch without being covered in sweat. Isn't that the American dream?

Alex was, of course, not impressed with my idea. Moving the couch just meant that all of her stuff that had been nicely hidden away was now in the middle of the floor. And, as she so rightly pointed out, "You'll just have to move it back in the winter." She is probably right. Once it cools down, I will move the couch back, but I think I can handle standing behind it and shoving the thing forward all of 4 inches.

No comments: