Tuesday, October 6

Not Your Average American Household

I'll be honest, I watch a lot of TV. I know its cool to say that you don't even own one, but I do. I own one. I even have cable. Don't get me wrong, I don't have Showtime or anything, but when I noticed that Bravo wasn't included in the Economy package, I upgraded and threw in the DVR while I was at it.

So why the confessional? Because Nielsen Ratings contacted me a few weeks ago and asked me to fill out a survey about my TV watching habits. What channels do I watch, what shows can I not live with out, that kind of thing. Its was preliminary interview, to see if I fit the mold of "average American household." They even sent me $2 for my troubles.

Their verdict? "Thank you for your participation in our survey.... We will no longer be needing your services" That's right. Rejected. Apparently I'm not average.

I'm not sure if it was the fact that I said I don't watch Network TV or the fact that I keep checking "other" and handwriting in answers that turned them off. Maybe they only want people who are more statistically quantifiable. I am sad I didn't get picked. I think I could have been a voice for great, but over looked shows like How Its Made, Graham Norton and Super Friends reruns. Guess I should just be glad I was considered.

No comments: