Monday, March 15

So Health Care...

So the health care debate is coming to a vote this week (I think); heated debate about this bill, in Washington DC and throughout the Unites States of America means that we won't be hearing about much else for the foreseeable future.

Part of me feels like I should have written about this topic long ago. I should have said something on this blog to declare my position on the subject. I should have said something about the fact that I don't see health care as a political issue, its a moral issue. I am a Christian after all and doesn't the bible say things like...

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed
by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the
creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you
invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you
looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then
the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you,
or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and
invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or
in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of
the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'



I also have a personal stack in this fight. You see, I'm an American citizen. I pay taxes. And guess what? I use the health care system. Just the other day I opened a medical bill for a whooping $1500. I guess I shouldn't have splurged on that MRI in January.

But I have kept quiet. I tend not to go into these things too much because of where I live and who my family is. I live in the South. In the land of "We don't need you! I'm just fine on my own!" And every time I walk into my parent's house they are watching those fair and balanced sages on Fox News. So I just keep my thoughts to myself. Its much safer that way.

It seems we are at a point in this country were no matter how much one tries to explain and appeal to reason, no matter how much and how often one might point out that other countries have solved this problem, the hole we are digging ourselves into is just going to keep getting deeper. This has nothing to do with reason or evidence. Contrary to what many might say the people opposed to reform are not blind idiots. This is tribal war. One can never overstate the power of resentment in American politics.

3 comments:

The Bug said...

I so totally agree with you. I have no expectation that we'll get what we need, but I'm hoping!

Jo said...

You remind me of me. I was a struggling single mother too, and I had bills to pay and unexpected expenses. I would just get past one hurdle and another one would come along. But thank God I didn't have the hurdle of health care expenses for my daughter and me. I just don't know what I would have done.

I don't understand the resistance by some Americans to universal health care. The value of your health care won't decrease -- it will increase. I can't believe the lies Americans are told about Canadian health care -- such as we don't get to choose our own doctors. That's just balderdash...! We can go to any doctor we like, anytime we like, for free. We can get any diagnostic tests that are required, and any treatment and medication that is required, for free. And Canadians' health care and life expectancy is actually higher than Americans. Canadians discovered insulin for diabetes, for goodness sake, amongst other things...!

I feel so, so, so bad for you folks right now. I do sincerely hope it gets better for you.

Cheers,

Jo

Katy said...

This whole debate really isn't about health care at all. Its like the civil war all over again. I think there are groups of people who still haven't come to terms with the fact that the anit-federalist lost that battle and so over 100 years later we are still fighting that war.