Wednesday, July 30

Buy Nothing

Buy Nothing Challenge - August 2008

Okay, I just joined cruchey's buy nothing challenge.

Here are the rules:

  • No new clothes
  • No new gadgets
  • No new furniture or housewares
  • No salon services (except haircuts)
  • No new makeup
  • No new tools
  • No whatever the hell else people buy
  • No eating out (!)

I can live with out a lot of these. I just bought new makeup from my mom. I need a hair cut, but I never get anything else done to myself. I can't remember the last time I bought a gadget. I have all the furniture I need and people are giving me housewares. Tools are not high on my "want list" and well, I need to stop buying random crap anyway. I only anticipate two problems: no new clothes, and no eating out.

The last one is big for our family. I was raised eating out at least once a week. In recent years our family had fallen into eating out at least 4 times a week and now that I have moved out that is probably still the rule. No, we don't eat out every night. Tuesday is girls night out so we eat out with my mom. Then well, I don't really cook that much on the weekends. So yeah, big life style change ahead.

That leads into the first big probalem, new clothes. I am not a close hore. I hate shoping for clothes and I only get sick of looking at everything in my closet once a year. That is usally cured by me buying one or two new shirts, maybe some slacks. Alex on the other hand. She's a kid. Kids grow. A lot and often. She is going to need new shorts and jeans for school. So I guess this will be the frist time I take her to a thrift store to buy stuff. I'll have to report back on how that goes.

No comments: