Thursday, August 28

The next chapter

The grey morning after a sunny day is a mood not often expressed.

It’s like waking up with a hangover, or suddenly recalled guilt. Momentum lost. A car stopped. Nothing, where something was. The grey Houston sidewalks can be a dispiriting sight and aptly signals the end of the Summer holiday.

I didn't think the start of school would make a big difference to us. Yes, there was the new teacher, classmates, backpack, supplies, all those forms and a different drop off point. But the difference is bigger than that.

Things have slowed down. I've stopped running. Last week work was hell. This week I've checked out. The days are still and limpid. I leave work a few minutes before 5:00 and catch the early bus home. The sun is fading faster. Our nights are spent eating dinner at the table, taking Gryffindor on walks, playing board games while political speeches droll on in the background. Its amazing how the rhythm of life flows through all things. This is too perfect. I know this isn't going to last.

Last night I sat with Alex as she filled out a "get to know you" work sheet she brought home from school.

Name. Alex
Do you have pets? What kind? None. My mom has a dog named Gryffindor.
What subject do you like least? Social Studies.
What subject do you like most? Math
What is your favorite thing to do outside of school? TV

No comments: